Friday, September 29, 2006

Zugbug and Paisley's Arkansas Fishing Report


Zug and I had a great time catching fish on the White and the Norfolk Rivers in Arkansas last week. The largest fish landed was a 22 inch cutthroat. I hooked one brown on a dry fly which would have been in the 8 to 10 pound range but I am sad to report that my trophy threw the hook before I could land him.

Zug and I both caught several fish over 18 inches and many more fish 12 to 17 inches in the catch and release area between McClellan's and the handicapped access. Several days work paid off with many unbelievable fish on the White River below Bulls Shoals Dam. We even had great luck at Rim Shoals on two evenings. Fishing pressure was very high on both rivers but patience and skill paid off for the two of us. Many flies seemed to work from scuds to midges and caddis. Even an occasional Y2K Bug worked when things slowed down. The key was long drifts without drag. You always hear that but in this case it was the only way to consistently catch fish.

If anyone wants to schedule a guided trip on the Watauga or South Holston rivers in Tennessee, I still have dates open in October.

-Paisley

(Editor's note: Jeff Paisley is a regular contributor to Flyfishmagazine.com and a skilled tailwater angler.)

No comments: