Monday, May 12, 2008

Honeymoon's Over: Jay Moore Posts Rare TN Fishing Report


Newlywed Middle Tennessee Editor, Jay Moore dropped us a line with his latest fishing report from the volunteer state.
It’s been a long time since I have posted a fishing report for Middle Tn. And that’s not because my new bride won’t let me go. It’s because until recently the generation schedule on The Caney Fork has been 24 hours a day seven days a week since February. She encourages me to go and two weeks ago I tried my luck on the Duck. There was little flow and even fewer fish, and my secrete spot that I have fished with my editor had been invaded by five canoes. There were seven people fishing one gravel bar that was hardly big enough for two. The short version is three small rainbows , one two inch bluegill, and one very frustrated angler.

Sunday (Mothers Day) I got to fish the Caney for the first time since January. I am a very lucky man. My better half had no problem with me fishing on Mothers day (Editor's note: Do not attempt this at home - it is very dangerous and should only be attempted by trained professionals) just so I got back before the day was over.

I got to the river just after sunrise and to my surprise, I had the spot I picked out all to myself. It was one of those mornings that you wish you could record. The sun was just clearing the trees on the East Bank. There was a huge storm system with black clouds to the West. The air was clear and everything was clean and bright. There were owls hooting and wild turkeys gobbling and I felt lucky to be in such a beautiful place doing something that I love. The fishing was great also and for three hours I got to be alone with my thoughts and try to work the rust off my fishing skills. The fish did their part. At one time I had made 14 casts in a row where I hooked a fish. I ended up with 1 brown, 15 rainbows, and my first brookie. Two of the fish were 14-16 inches, most were 10-12 inches. I probably had thirty five fish hooked and brought seventeen to hand. It should have been more, but like I said, I was a bit rusty. All were hooked on a size 16 midge, either a black zebra or a green one I tie with a blue wire wrap. All in all it was one of the best days I have had on the river in a long time and I look forward to going back soon.
I have purchased a MadRiver kayak and plan on testing it out in the near future, so look for a report on my first kayak adventure in the days to come.

No comments: