Wednesday, January 31, 2007

You always remember your first...


...striper on the fly.

As you can probably see from my reserved demeanor in this photo, I was a tiny bit happy about catching my first striper on a fly rod. This fish was caught off the coast of Virginia Beach, Virginia after a full and very successful day of trolling gear with giant lures. When it came time to pull in the lines our Captain, Danny Crabbe, let me have some time to cast my fly rod and I was able to hook up with my first fly caught rockfish on a chartreuse and white clouser minnow. This was by far the smallest fish of the day and for me the most exciting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking good Murdock! Nice work!

Anonymous said...

Nicely done. My first striper on fly was about the same size. It hit so damn hard, and I've been hooked on stripers, and saltwater fly fishing, ever since. Once you get that salt in your veins, it's hard to get it out.

Murdock said...

Thanks Pete! I thought catching my first trout on the fly rod (many years ago)was a great kick but the way that striper hit and fought makes me think I am gonna spend lots more money and start tying up 6 inch long clouser minnows.