Sunday, November 12, 2006

Rockbridge Trout Ranch



Rockbridgehttp://www.rockbridgemo.com

I owe my love of flyfishing to my brother-in -law Richard Hulsey. Richard lives in Joplin, Mo. with my baby sister Jill. On one of my visits, Richard suggested we go fly fishing. I had no idea what to do, but he got me out in the yard trying to learn to cast. After about ten minutes and three beers each, he said I was ready to go. The next day he took me to Rockbridge,Mo., which is about 2 hours from Joplin on a spring fed creek near the Arkansas border. My first day flyfishing, I caught 6 rainbows 2lbs. or larger. Richard spent most of the day working on my tangles, but I was hooked. We have been back several times and are planning a trip for Thanksgiving. At rockbridge you will find great fishing, good food, and reasonable rooms. The river is stocked every day with large trout that are a lot of fun to catch. They don't know they are not wild trout. The only downside, is when you get pretty good at fly fishing, it gets expensive. You pay by the pound and you have to keep all that you catch. So when you hook that three pounder, keep in mind, that could be a $10.00 fish.

No comments: