Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Fly fishing with the tourists

This summer I got to cruise to Alaska, and on one of our stops I had the oportunity to fish for half a day. The guides picked us up at the dock and took us to a remote location on the White River. By the time we got suited up, bought our license, and got to our spot, we only had about two and half hours to fish. The waders I am wearing in this photo are 5x. My boots had holes in them, and the drag on my reel was broken. By now I am thinking that this is a waste of $232.00, but on my first cast I hooked a 4lb pink salmon, and I forgot about all the other stuff. I was the only one in our group that could cast, so the guide put me in a spot by myself. I landed eleven pink salmon and three Dolly Varden trout in two hours. The largest salmon was about 8 pounds. It took about 15 minutes to get each fish in, so I had a fish on almost every minute we fished. The guide left me to help the other guys and I was on my own and loved it. Everyone caught fish and had a great time. Despite the equipment issues and the short time to fish, it was well worth the money and we all said we would do it again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What cruise line were you with?