Tuesday, October 24, 2006

A Fly Fishing / Business Consulting Mash Up


Yet another reporter gets to try her hand at fly fishing and then write a news story about it. This always makes for a good chuckle for those of us for which angling is more than a passing fad. Reading about her experience leads me to reflect on the fact that anytime we try a new approach be it in the world of business, journalism, or fly fishing, one's efforts invariably follow a set path. Thus, I have de-constructed her article and reformatted it into the style that of a corporate business consultant.

One must make preparations that will insure one's best chance for success.

When Derby Evening Telegraph sports reporter Kerry Slack was invited to try her hand at fly-fishing at Press Manor Fishery in Derbyshire, her first dilemma was what to wear.

Never forget to make safety a priority.

I was passed a lifejacket, which was so not my colour and clashed with my jacket, but was told it could save my life should we fall in the water.

Remember that attitude is everything.

Now secretly, I was hoping not to catch. I'd forgotten to mention to Bernie that for the past 20 years, I've been a vegetarian and even the smell of fish turns my stomach.

Be prepared to cope with an initial lack of success or maybe in this case cope with success (I am not really sure).

Much to my relief, after about half an hour, neither Bernie nor myself had had one single bite. Not a sausage.

React to changing market conditions by making adjustments so as to maximize your synergy. (aka. Don't be afraid to pick the low hanging fruit first!)

And so it was here that I was introduced to a box of maggots. There they were wriggling around in an old margarine tub at the side of the lake, waiting for me to throw them to the fish.

Realize that even the best victories can include a bit of disappointment.

I've got a fish, I've got a fish!" I screamed, causing the other anglers on the lake to give me stern looks....

But as soon as the fish reared its ugly, wet head out of the water, I screamed and ran back from the bank, still clutching the rod....

However, I failed to pay any attention to what he was saying and whacked the poor fish first against one tree, and then against another so that by the time it was out of the water, it was dead.

Accept your own limitations and constructive criticism from others about same.

"While you did okay on your casting, I don't think you'll make an angler," laughed Bernie, after our five-hour session.

Next week we will attempt to apply the concepts of Six Sigma process improvement to the world of fly angling...or maybe not.

No comments: