Tuesday, September 14, 2010

FlyFish Mag at IFTD--Part 3

I heard someone at IFTD say, "thank goodness Redington got rid of that Rubbermaid logo!" I didn't dislike the old logo, but I do think the new one looks pretty slick on Redington's new apparel line. But the logo isn't what had me all touchy-feely in the Redington booth. My fingerprints were all over their new products, especially since their purchase-friendly pricing is enticing.
Redington Deschutes Rain Jacket
MSRP $149.95
After seeing it at the show, I've been thinking a lot about Redington's new Deschutes Rain Jacket for women. Especially yesterday, when we got stuck in a torrential downpour on the Elk River in British Columbia. This jacket should catch your attention with its good looks, but further capture you attention with its price. For 150-bucks, it's a great value, especially considering it is a technical piece featuring 2.5 layer Red Storm waterproof/breathable fabric with fully taped seams, four-way stretch, adjustable hood and cuffs and pit zips. Even though it's a rain jacket, it's not crunchy or loud. The trim-fitting cut is very flattering, and I think most women will agree that the moss color is beautiful. It's great to see Redington's new apparel line feature a head-turning technical piece at price that will encourage women to stay out in the rain long after the boys have bagged it.

Redington Crosswater Youth Outfit

MSRP $139.95

It's clear that Redington is a leader in the charge to make fly fishing fun, more accessible and affordable to anglers of all ages and ability levels. The new Redington Crosswater Youth Outfit is a great example of how easy it can be to get young people into good gear. Teens and beginners can rest assured that this is not a "kid" rod package. It looks legit, and I'm told it fishes very smoothly for a solid entry into the sport. The 8'6", 4-pc 5/6wt setup comes with a Redington Crosswater reel and pre-spooled Rio Mainstream line and knotless leader. Oh, and even a sleek rod case! And the whole thing, with fish facts and information printed on the box, is under 140 bones.

fishpond Tundra Tech Pack
MSRP $239
With more and more outdoor enthusiasts adding fly fishing to their list of chronic adventures, the need for a backpack/fly pack combo is ever-prevalent. Fishpond has responded to the demand with its new Tundra Tech Pack. The 1524 cubic inches of space offer plenty of room for overnight gear, while allowing a separate space for fishing accessories with the modular chest pack. The chest pack can be worn together or separately from the main pack, and can be moved to attach to the back when accessing fishing supplies isn't necessary. Now that's what I call a proper appropriation of integration and separation! The entire system is designed to be comfortable and low-maintenance with an internal frame, integrated rod tube system to carry two rods securely and a 100oz hydration reservoir.

Tomorrow, in my final IFTD report, I'll post about a rod that has me on the fence about women-specific fishing products, I'll link to video I shot of a hot switch rod, and I'll freak out about my pick for "Best of Show."

No comments: