Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Jay Moore's Middle Tennesee Fishing Report


FlyFishMagazine.com Middle Tennessee Editor sent in the following fishing report:
It’s been a while since I posted a fishing report because until recently there has not been much to report. My friend Phil and I have been fishing the same places, catching a fair number of small fish, but nothing to write home about. A few weeks ago we tried a different spot and met a newcomer to the fly fishing world named Ryan. A local fly shop had sold him a lot of flies that were destined to never catch a fish, so Phil decided to help him out. I know I kid Phil a lot but he is a good guy and spent a lot of time with Ryan. He gave him some flies and and showed him how to fish them and in a few minutes Ryan caught his first trout on a fly rod. He ended up landing about ten trout that morning and was completely hooked on the sport.

While I am on the subject of my friend Phil, two weeks ago we had a great trip to the Caney Fork. Phil only landed 5 fish but the fish were some of the largest we have seen this year. He landed a 19”, 16”, and 15” rainbow and did a great job bringing them in. I also caught three large rainbows but nothing that beat Phil’s big fish. He said it was the best he has caught on the Caney and it was certainly one of the largest I have seen in a long time. All these big fish were hooked on either a size 16 black zebra midge or size 16 Blue Bomber tied in the Moore house kitchen.

I thought I would include something for my daughter Mylisa in this report. She gave me a fishing cap for fathers day and I have worn it the last three trips and I think it’s my new lucky hat. I have landed almost 60 trout since I started wearing it and I will keep it on until the luck runs out. Thanks Mylisa, I need all the help I can get.

No comments: