Monday, August 07, 2006

Fly Fishing Redux In The Press

I often wonder when the popular trend of re-makes will end and the world will get around to creating some original content. A few months back I visited a movie theater and noted upon my exit that every last one of the coming attractions being promoted in the lobby was a re-make. Not that I didn't enjoy "The House Of Wax" mind you, it just wasn't the same with Paris Hilton in place of Vincent Price. As one who follows the news of fly fishing daily I can always tell when the weather has been hot and not much new is being reported on. Here are a few of the articles out today that we have seen a few times before.

Blackberry Farm in the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee is still charging $795 and up a night for a room making it one of the most expensive hotels in the United States.

Women who shun their knitting and enjoy outdoor sports such as fly fishing and hiking and the like are still being referred to as "Wild Women" or something like that. Don't get me wrong I appreciate a good wild woman as much as the next guy but by now I think we all know that women like to fish the same as men.

This article turned up again today in several business journals about hiring people (or reeling them in) when money is tight. It tries to compare fly fishing to human resources. This blasphemy troubles me greatly. If it troubles you then check out the eloquent way that our Professor blogging pal Shupac from Find the River took it to task when it came out the first time in June of this year.

That said I have ranted enough for one evening and must get back to writing my "new" book. It is about an old fisherman who hasn't caught a fish in a very long time. After a while he catches a very large marlin but the sharks eat it. I haven't decided on a title yet.

No comments: