Sunday, August 14, 2005

Learn Flyfishing with a Guide or On Your Own?


Harry L. Hoots author of the Hoot's Holler outdoor column for the Hendersonville News writes about why it might be better to learn to fly fish from a knowledgeable guide vs. reading lots of books and watching videos etc. I know I spent a lot of money on things that I really didn't need when I was learning, but in retrospect that was a lot of the fun as well.

Guides are expensive, but for the first time angler who has no one to show them the ropes, they can be a good investment. A guide can also be great when you are fishing in a new area for the first time. I would hate to shell out all that money to visit Alaska and then try to go it on my own without having a clue. If you are going to spend $1,000+ to get to the river, don't skimp on a guide. Anybody who spends 200+ days on the water has to have some clue about where the fish stay.

No comments: