Saturday, April 09, 2005

Undercover Fly Shop Review - Madison River Anglers & Outfitters


Recently, I went undercover as a non-editorial fly fisherman and visited Madison River Anglers & Outfitters located in Cornelius, North Carolina in an upscale shopping area. Cornelius is an area off of I-77 just north of Charlotte and Huntersville and near Davidson college. I went in to pick up a couple of flies that I had not taken time to tie the night before and ended up buying about a dozen as well as a fly box that I had been looking for. Dry flies were $2 each and streamers were 2.50. An older gentlemen in the store was nice enough to talk to me and show me some of the newer flies. He even made a suggestion or two about what they had been biting on the delayed harvest streams recently.

The selection was typical of a full line Or**s dealer with the usual decorator items, clothing, rods, reels accessories, and a nice assortment of flies. There was even the requisite friendly dog roaming the store. The owner of the shop rang up my purchases and was very friendly and helpful and took the time to ask me if I needed any leaders or tippet to go with my purchase. He also asked me where I was going to be fishing and etc. I was able to eavesdrop and hear the older gentleman talking to a person who was just getting interested in fly fishing. He suggested that he try North Carolina's delayed harvest fishery and suggested a guided trip as a first experience. All pretty good advice in my book. They were having a Spring sale that day and even had a cooler of free drinks set up outside for the customers.

Based on my brief experience during that visit I would have to say that it was one of the nicer Or**s shops I have visited in some time. While the shop is small, the people were friendly and helpful. I am sure I would stop in again when I am up that way.

No comments: